Bagneres de Luchon is a great base in the heart of the mountains for:
- Road biking
- Mountain biking
- Tour de France
- Cultural events
The largest resort in the Pyrenees, the spa town of Bagneres De Luchon is dubbed the Queen of the Pyrenees (La Reine des Pyrenees). Ninety minutes directly south of Toulouse, 15 minutes from the Spanish border and equidistant from the Mediterranean and Atlantic coasts, Bagneres De Luchon pinpoints the middle of the Pyrenees.
Its very geography makes it the start of some of the most technically challenging hiking and cycling terrain the mountain range has to offer.
It also gives Bagneres de Luchon its own ski resort (Superbagneres overlooks the town) as well as easy access to another 139km miles of ski runs at Peyragudes and Cerler, Benasque. Both resorts are within an easy 40-minute-winter-drive from Luchon.
The sheer range of other activities and facilities on tap in Bagneres de Luchon and surrounding area make it as popular with families as with adrenalin junkies.
Situated in an expansive, sun-kissed plain, Bagneres De Luchon boasts three large parks. Its botanical gardens provide calm and easy walks. The parkland around the Thermes (spa) provides lakeside walks, magnificant views of the mountains and spaces for children and teenagers to chill. The leisure park to the east of the river provides tennis courts, crazy golf, a climbing wall, basketball court, a family-friendly, open-air swimming pool, a great playground for the children and a shaded, relaxed and simple cafe-bar to enjoy an ice-cream or beer.
Twinned with Harrogate since 1952, Bagneres de Luchon hosts a full calendar of events: The Tour de France, the Flower Festival, music festivals and extreme sports contests.
A bit of history
A spa town since Roman times, Bagneres de Luchon became a popular holiday mountain retreat with the French bourgeoisie who, in the 19th century, came to enjoy and benefit from the therapeutic qualities of the water and mountain air. As such, elegant Art Nouveau buildings dominate the town’s boulevard and southern quarter, adding a touch of Parisian flair to the mountain town.
- Airport de Tarbes-Ossun-Lourdes: 13 miles (35 minutes)
- Airport de Pau-Pyrenees: 87 miles (1hr 44mins)
- Airport de Biarritz Bayonne-Anglet: 109 miles (2hr 10mins)
- Airport de Toulouse Blagnac: 91 miles (1hr 50mins)
- Airport de Carcassonne-Salvaza: 141 miles (2hrs 35mins)
Main attractions and events within easy reach
- Superbagneres ski resort (via cable car from the town)
- Peyragudes ski resort (30 mins)
- Benasque ski resort (40 mins)
- Lac D’Oo (30 minutes drive to four-hour round walk to beauty spot)
- Tour de France (mid July)
- Superbagneres mountain bike trails (via cable car from the town)
- Col de Peyresourde
- Port de Bales
- Col de Portillon
- Mini golf
- Open air pool
- Tennis courts
- Thermal baths (in the town)
- Balnea spa (40 mins)
- Ludeo open air pool and park with bouncy castles and mini ‘Go-Ape’ style adventure park
- Flower festival (mid August)
- St Bertrand de Commingues (pretty medieval & Roman town 40 mins by car)